Early Stage Researcher Positions
We are pleased to advertise 15 Early-Stage Researcher (PhD) positions as part of the Innovative Training Network of the European Commission MUSIQ “Multiphoton Microscopy and Ultrafast Spectroscopy: Imaging meets Quantum”.
The positions will all last three years, and will allow all students to participate in an exciting programme comprising international schools, workshops, and secondments at academic as well as industrial partners.
***IMPORTANT: Application deadlines and start dates vary. Please check out the webpages of the individual vacancies (via the MUSIQ website below) for details.***
Overview of the project and of the training offered to all Early Stage Researchers of MUSIQ
MUSIQ is an innovative European Training Network (ETN) funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions programme, with the unique vision of developing the next-generation optical microscopy exploiting quantum coherent nonlinear phenomena. ETNs provide training through doctoral research to talented early stage researchers (ESRs).
Through 15 ESR research projects, MUSIQ will establish an intersectoral training and research programme at the physics/chemistry/life science interface with partners from 9 European countries. MUSIQ ESRs will enrol on PhD degree programmes and be employed for 36 months in a beneficiary
organisation. The consortium brings together a unique team of world-leading academic groups and industry, at the forefront of optical microscopy technology developments merged with fundamental understanding of ultrafast coherent light-matter interaction phenomena, development of quantitative image analysis tools, and biomedical/pharmaceutical real-world applications. MUSIQ aims at creating the next generation of skilled well-connected scientists that will pioneer the ‘quantum microscopes of tomorrow’.
The positions will be hosted at the following institutions:
- Cardiff University (CU): 3 PhD positions, ESR 1, ESR 2 and ESR 3
- Politecnico di Milano (POLIMI): 2 PhD positions, ESR 4 and ESR 5
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS): 2 PhD positions, ESR 6 and ESR 7
- The Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO): 2 PhD positions, ESR 8 and ESR 9
- Universität Konstanz (UKON): 1 PhD position, ESR 10
- Université du Luxembourg (UL): 1 PhD position, ESR 11
- Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia (UNIMORE): 1 PhD position, ESR 12
- GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Ltd. (GSK): 1 PhD position, ESR 13
- Leica Microsystems CMS GmbH (Leica): 1 PhD position, ESR 14
- Light Conversion (LC): 1 PhD position, ESR 15
The MUSIQ consortium also includes private sector partners:
- Scientific Volume Imaging
- Hertz, training and coaching for scientists
- Science Made Simple
- VENTEON Laser Technologies GmbH
- A.P.E. Angewändte Physik and Elektronik GmbH
- accelopment AG
Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the scientists in charge of the projects as soon as possible.
Here we summarise the titles and host institutions for the 15 ESR positions:
- ESR 1 (CU, Cardiff): Position Filled Understanding and controlling lipid membranes at the nanoscale through label-free coherent nonlinear optics at membrane-nanoparticle interfaces
- ESR 2 (CU, Cardiff): Position Filled 2D FWM cryo-microspectroscopy of individual colloidal quantum dots, fluorophores, and biomolecules
- ESR 3 (CU, Cardiff): Position Filled Development of FWM imaging for biotherapeutic detection and tracking in live cells
- ESR 4 (POLIMI, Milan): Study of quantum coherences in artificial light-harvesting complexes
- ESR 5 (POLIMI, Milan): Position Filled Ultrafast coherent spectroscopy of natural light-harvesting systems
- ESR 6 (CNRS, Marseille): Position Filled Optimal vector field coupling for enhanced Coherent Raman Scattering
- ESR 7 (CNRS, Marseille): Position Filled Background free ultra-sensitive Frequency-Modulation SRS
- ESR 8 (ICFO, Barcelona): Position Filled Plasmonic antenna platforms for monitoring membrane receptor interactions in living cells at the Nanoscale
- ESR 9 (ICFO, Barcelona): Position Filled Coherent ultrafast electronic and vibrational molecular dynamics of single molecules at room temperature using fluorescence readouts
- ESR 10 (UKON, Konstanz): Position Filled Coherent nonlinear Raman microscopy of the kinetics of DNA synthesis and ribosomal assembly in living cells
- ESR 11 (UL, Luxembourg City): Position Filled Ultrafast 2D mid-IR/vibrational micro-spectroscopy of organic molecules
- ESR 12 (UNIMORE, Modena): Position Filled Simulating ultrafast coherent phenomena in model light-harvesting complexes
- ESR 13 (GSK, Stevenage): Position Filled Exploring the potential combination of Optical and Mass Spectrometry Imaging techniques to characterise endogenous and xenobiotic components at sub-cellular resolution
- ESR 14 (Leica, Mannheim): Position Filled Establishing quantitative Stimulated Raman Scattering microscopy workflows for life science research and industrial applications
- ESR 15 (LC, Vilnius): Position Filled Development of femtosecond laser source for coherent nonlinear microscopy
The successful candidates will receive a 36 month, full-time employment contract as per Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) regulations for early stage researchers. The monthly salary will be confirmed upon offer, paid in the currency of the host country, and with a correction factor applied to the host country. The approximate monthly living allowance before employer and statutory deductions is: €4,571 (UK), €3,413 (Italy), €3,783 (France), €3,119 (Spain), €3,171(Germany), €2,370
(Lithuania), €3,270 (Luxembourg). There is an additional mobility allowance of €600/month, and researchers may also qualify for a family allowance of €500/month depending on family situation at the time of recruitment. Please visit the EU MSCA website for further information.
The ESRs will be enrolled in a vibrant PhD programme of leading academic and industrial researchers. In addition to their individual scientific projects, all ESRs will benefit from a dedicated training programme comprising an integrated curriculum of local and intensive network courses, schools, workshops and engagement with cutting-edge research.
There are strict eligibility requirements within Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks. At the time of appointment, applicants:
- MUST at the date of recruitment, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. ‘Date of Recruitment’ means the first day of the employment of the researcher (i.e. contract starting date). ‘Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience’ is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctoral degree programme.
- MUST NOT have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention1 are not taken into account.
- It is a requirement that network ESRs have an ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English to a level that is sufficiently high for them to derive full benefit from the
Please check individual vacancy details and how to apply.
As well as applying to the local institution, please send your CV with a Cover Letter to the Consortium Coordinator email: [email protected]. In the Cover Letter please indicate for which project you are applying and provide a brief motivation as to why you wish to become an ESR within MUSIQ. Please be aware that your CV may be shared with the named beneficiaries within the consortium, as part of the application review process, to ensure an open, transparent and merit based recruitment. To read the full MUSIQ Data Privacy Notice, please see Data Privacy notice.