I received my Diploma in physics from the University of Kaiserslautern in 1992, and my PhD in physics from the University of Karlsruhe in 1995. From 1995 to 1998, I was assistant research professor at the Mikroelektronik Centret, Denmark. From 1998 to 2004, I was with the University of Dortmund, where I received my Habilitation in 2003. In 2004 I was appointed Senior Lecturer in the School of Physics, Cardiff University, promoted to Reader in 2006 and to Personal Chair in 2007. I have published more than 300 papers, have an h-index of 53, and more than 10000 citations. I am Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales (FLSW). My research interest include the development of novel optical micro-spectroscopy techniques for the life-science, such as coherent anti-stokes Raman scattering (CARS) microscopy, four-wave mixing imaging, phase-microscopy, label-free optical biosensors using microcavities, electromagnetic theory, ultrafast dynamics of individual quantum emitters such as epitaxial and colloidal quantum dots.
Wolfgang Langbein leads the Work Packages WP1.2 Quantitative Chemical Imaging and WP2.2 2DES Cryo-Microscopy of Single Quantum Emitters. Wolfgang is the main supervisor of ESR 2, is contributing to WPs 1,2,3, and will (co)host ESRs 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13 and 15 during their secondments at CU.
- Karuna, F. Masia, M. Wiltshire, R. Errington, P. Borri, and W. Langbein, Label-free volumetric quantitative imaging of the human somatic cell division by hyperspectral coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering, Anal. Chem. (2019) 10.1021/acs.analchem.8b04706
- Masia, I. Pope, P. Watson. W. Langbein, and P. Borri, Bessel-beam hyperspectral CARS microscopy with sparse sampling: Enabling high-content high-throughput label-free quantitative chemical imaging, Anal. Chem. 90, 3775 (2018) 10.1021/acs.analchem.7b04039
- N.G. Berloff, K. Kalinin, M. Silva, W. Langbein, and P.G. Lagoudakis, Realizing the XY Hamiltonian in polariton simulators, Nature Mater. 16, 1120 (2017) 10.1038/NMAT4971
- Radiatively limited dephasing and exciton dynamics in MoSe2 monolayers revealed with four-wave mixing microscopy, T. Jakubczyk, V. Delmonte, M. Koperski, K. Nogajewski, C. Faugeras, W. Langbein, M. Potemski, and J. Kasprzak, Nano Lett. 16, 5333 (2016) 10.1021/acs.nanolett.6b01060
- E.A. Muljarov and W. Langbein, Exact mode volume and Purcell factor of open optical systems, Phys. Rev. B 94, 235438 (2016) 10.1103/PhysRevB.94.235438
- Naeem, F. Masia, S. Christodoulou, I. Moreels, P. Borri, and W. Langbein, Giant exciton oscillator strength and radiatively limited dephasing in two-dimensional platelets, Phys. Rev. B 91, 121302(R) (2015) 10.1103/PhysRevB.91.121302
- Masia, A. Glen, P. Stephens, P. Borri, and W. Langbein, Quantitative Chemical Imaging and Unsupervised Analysis Using Hyperspectral Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering Microscopy Anal. Chem. 85, 10820 (2013) 10.1021/ac402303g
- Albert, K. Sivalertporn, J. Kasprzak, M. Strauss, C. Schneider, S. Höfling, M. Kamp, A. Forchel, S. Reitzenstein, E.A. Muljarov, and W. Langbein, Microcavity controlled coupling of excitonic qubits, Nature Commun. 4, 1747 (2013) 10.1038/ncomms2764